Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 28, 2008

~it is not always as it is seems,in this case heard~

I was introduced to a new term in the teaching of drama, EDU 3217 class today; implicature. Implicature is actually an underlying discourse that is often used by characters to say something which is implied with another underlying meaning. At first, I stumbled a lot in recognizing the lines which is implied with this literary feature but after I was given the examples from the respected Assoc. Prof. Dr Edwin himself, I think I can distinguish an implied line from the non-implied line. Dr. Edwin has given us some text to work on during class and this has resulted in a better understanding of what it really means. The extracts of text are from Shakespeare’s Macbeth and Harold Pinter’s A Night’s Out. In short, the class today has made us more aware of what the actors are saying because implied words are bound to happen anytime and anywhere during the play.

No comments: