Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

~am i passionless? - review on the play PASSION~

This was my first trip to KLPAC and to watch a musical play. I have high hopes in that, which is for sure. I dearly hoped that the play would be very enjoyable and somehow can change my view on the issue that emerged, despite the not-so-encouraging comments I have heard from Dr. Edwin himself. But here I am, admitting to every single word that Dr. Edwin has said. Ironic, isn’t it? Clearly, the play was a mass of complicated unfathomable body movements that was suppose to create meaning and a horrific display of affection and emotions; which is clearly not passion. Harsh comments from an inexperienced audience, right? Well, I’m just pouring my piece of mind... the presentation is weak, I mean the main character, or should I say, the hero, he is unable to inject the feeling of pity towards him. But somehow, the performance by Judimar Hernandez is spectacular. Luckily, her movements and simple gestures had made me stick to my chair for the whole play, craving to see her dance the story to the end. I do not say that I am totally against dancing. Well, to be frank, I am a big fan of watching people dancing in passion and beautiful outfits. The duration of some of the scenes is way too long. Short, simple and sweet would be much preferred by me especially in the not so important scenes. I mean, the hero can mourn in grief alone in the middle of the stage, but it should not take too long. Emphasizes should be stressed on much more important scenes, such as when he is torn between two and pushed to make a decision. Lighting throughout the whole play was fantastic. It helps a lot in decoding the dancers’ (characters’) emotions and feelings. Fiery red when they are dancing in passion and desiring each other and deep blue when the character is sad and anxious of decision making. In short, I am glad for this experience and honestly I do not think that I will go to any musical theatre (unless it is highly recommended by my peers and friends) in the nearest future.

No comments: