Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

~A Streetcar Nameed Desire~

My first impression when I watch the movie is how the director has implemented every little tiny details that appears in the original play by Tennessee Williams into the movie. Incredible, is it? I am fascinated by the character of the tragic hero Blanche Dubois. The actress has done a very good job in playing her role in the movie. She looks very fragile throughout the movie and finally ended up broken and shattered into pieces. The apartment is as exactly as I have imagined. Shabby, old and have the symbolism of the working class community. The friendly neighbourhood is pretty much inviting and the time setting is so vivid. Unfortunately, for me, the characters speak too fast and their words seem to be lost although I have put my fullest attention to their speech. Nonetheless, the pulling factor to why I say the movie is so extraordinarily heart touching is the characteristics of Blanche. I am so sorry for her pain and sufferings that she had perplexed through her gestures and speech. She has lost all of the people who has been close to her once and for me the sole reason to why she has ended up in New Orleans (I strongly believe that it is the last place on earth she would rather step foot on but in her conditions, she has no other choices) is because of Stella, her sister. All that she has wanted is to find shelter, her sanctuary...but it turns out to be her final blow towards her self-destruction. For me, Stella has failed to be a genuine sister. She knew about the rape but keeps it to herself only, not able to go against Stanley and scared of him leaving her and their baby. In my opinion, a strong character like Stella should not feel insecure because she can actually be independent and take care of herself. This is a social dilemma which does not faced by Stella only, but there is a lot of woman out there who is lost and in desperate need of help. Let us all be gentle and lend a helping hand to these unfortunate women.

No comments: